Aubergine, Coconut and Cashew Curry
I love sweet nutty flavours in Indian dishes, especially in vegetable ones. So I was very excited to create this aubergine, coconut and cashew curry using delicious aubergine from Rectory Farm.
I served mine with chicken thighs, peppers and onions marianted in tikka paste and yoghurt, as well as homemade gluten free naan breads. This is perfect as a side dish or as a main dish served with rice, for those who follow a vegan or veggie diet! You could even add in some chickpeas for some extra protein :)
1 Large Aubergine
1 small white onion
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin seeds
Sprinkle of chilli flakes
1 tbsp tomato puree
Thumb size piece of ginger
1/2 tsp of easy chopped garlic
1/2 can of coconut milk
1 tsp of ground almonds to thicken - optional*
Handful of cashew nuts
Salt and pepper
Chopped fresh coriander
1. Head 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and add the aubergine which should be chopped into chunky squares. Don't make them too small and thin or they will go mushy.
2. Leave to brown off and cook through, stirring throughout.
3. In a saucepan, add 2 tbsp of olive oil, followed by the ginger, garlic and cumin seeds. Add in the diced onion too.
4. Once the onion has browned, add in the cooked aubergine.
5. Pour over the coconut milk, add the rest of the spices, seasoning and the tomatoe puree. Leave to simmer.
6. Once cooked into a thick curry. (If it is still a little thin, you can add a tsp of ground almonds to thicken slightly.) Add in the cashew nuts.
7. Stir, being careful not to mush the aubergine up.
8. Add into a bowl and sprinkle over the fresh coriander plus a few chilli flakes. Enjoy :)