Sticky Caramel Date Bars
Try these delicious sticky caramel date bars for a treat throughout the week! Pack 'em in your lunchbox and enjoy.
110g Dried Pitted Dates
1 Tsp Maple Syrup
Sprinkle of Salt
100g Coconut Oil or Butter
50g Brown/Coconut Sugar
1. In a saucepan, add the dates, maple syrup, salt and cover with water. Around 50ml.
2. Bring to the boil and then leave to simmer. Be careful to not let it burn!
3. Meanwhile half the oats. Put one to the side and blend the other until it resembles oat flour, I did this in a nutribullet.
4. Add both the oats, the coconut oil/butter (at room temp) and sugar into a bowl and mix until you have your 'crumb.'
5. Take the date mixture off the heat and you should now have a paste.
6. In a square tin, add in the half the oat crumble mixture and press down.
7. Spread over the date mixture evenly and then crumble over the remainder of the oat mixture.
8. Put in the oven at 180 degrees for around 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
9. Bring out to cool and then slice into 8 squares.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge.