Chocolate Caramel Cornflake Bars
I was inspired by Olive's recipe for their 'Honey Nut Cornflake and Caramel Bars' to make my own gluten an dairy free version. They have three layers of deliciousness, a crunchy cornflake base topped with almond butter caramel layered with rich dark chocolate - oh yes!
80g Coconut Oil
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
160g Cornflakes (I used gluten-free ones from whole earth!)
50g Almond Butter
50g Coconut Sugar
2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
Splash of dairy-free milk
100g Dark Chocolate
1. Add your cornflakes to a mixing bowl and crush them down to smaller pieces.
2. Melt your coconut oil in the microwave then add in the maple syrup.
3. Pour over the cornflakes and mix so they are covered.
4. In a baking paper lined square tin, pour the cornflake mixture in. Press down hard so that is evenly spread out and won't break.
5. Pop into the freezer for 20ish mins.
6. Meanwhile, add all the ingredients except for the milk into a pan. Leave to simmer on a medium heat until bubbling slightly, keep stirring and don't let the sugar burn.
7. Take off the heat and pour in the milk to give a caramel colour to the mixture.
8. Bring the base out and pour the caramel over, pop back into the freezer for another 20 mins.
9. Melt your chocolate over a pan of boiling water so it keeps the shine. You can melt in the microwave too if you prefer.
10. Pour the chocolate over the two layers and sprinkle with a little salt and broken cornflakes. Pop back into the freezer for a further 10-20 mins until set.
11. Bring out and leave for a little so that when you cut into bars the chocolate doesn't crack. With a sharp hot knife cut into long bars.
12. Keep the bars in a Tupperware in the fridge.