RECIPE: Mixed Nut Brittle
If you are a vegan, you will know that nuts is one of your main sources of fat and protein, which you would normally be getting from meat, eggs and fish. This is great recipe for people who are both vegan and non-vegans.
Do you ever remember Mr. Tom peanut brittle bars? They were pretty old school. I loved them, but I am pretty sure they are packed with a lot of sugar and additives. My version of nut brittle, is using unrefined sugar, from coconuts, it has no nasties in either. Gluten and dairy free as well as being really really delicious.
1/4 Cup of Coconut Oil
1/4 Cup of Coconut Syrup (Can use maple/rice syrup if you would rather.)
1/4 Cup of Coconut Sugar
Sprinkling of Pink Salt
Splash of Maple Syrup
1/3 Cup of Pistachios
1/3 Cup of Hazelnuts
1/3 Cup of Pecans
1. Firstly chop your nuts into small pieces and put to one side. Don't worry too much about them being even, the more rustic the better!
2. In a saucepan on a low heat, melt your coconut oil.
3. Then add in the coconut syrup, coconut sugar and maple syrup. Keep on a low heat and keep stirring.
4. You are looking for the mixture to start to bubble and become thicker like caramel. You don't want it to be too hot, or it will burn, and the caramel will be ruined.
5. Once it starts to bubble take it off the heat, add the chop nuts, sprinkle in the salt and stir everything together.
6. On a tray lined with baking parchment, pour out the nut mixture.
7. Pop in the fridge for around 30 minutes so that the brittle hardens.
8. Bring out the brittle and cut or snap into shards. Your nut brittle is now ready to serve or eat!