I made this as a pudding after trying to find some inspiration from a baklava, now its not as similar as I would of liked, but it has an essence of baklava, and it is delicious none the less. You can replace the pistachios with whatever nuts you fancy, peanuts would go great - like a raw snickers inspired slice!
160g Oats (Ground into flour)
100g Ground Almonds
60g Pistachios (Ground into chunky 'flour')
50ml Maple Syrup
25g Coconut Oil (Melted)
1/4 Tsp Salt
300g Dates (Soft and Soaked)
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
1/2 Tsp Salt
30g of Pistachios (roughly chopped)
200-300g Dark Chocolate
Dried Rose Petals - to decorate
1. Add your oats, ground almonds and ground pistachios to a bowl. Add in the maple syrup, coconut oil and salt, then mix until a dough is formed.
2. Add this into a square baking tin, thats line with baking paper to stop in sticking.
3. Push down to create your base. Make sure it is tightly packed in, so that the base holds together.Pop in the freezer for 30 mins to set.
4. Meanwhile add your soften dates to a food processor or blender, add in the maple syrup and salt then blend into a smooth 'caramel' is made.
5. Stir through your pistachios. Bring out your base and add this to the top. Use a wet spoon to stop it sticking and moving the base about. Pop back into the freezer for a further 30 minutes to set.
6. Melt your chocolate, then pour on the other layers covering to make your third and final layer. Sprinkle over your rose petals or any other decoration you wish, pop back into the freezer until the chocolate has set.
7. Bring out the freezer, and leave to warm a little before cutting. If cut when frozen the chocolate will crack. Cut using a knife that you run under boiling hot water. This should make around 10-12 bars.